Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cyclocross is finally here!

Well, now that the suffering has started, it's time to get back to business. We are in our second weekend of Colorado Cyclocross, and slowly but surely old friends and nemisis are toeing the line on some very warm September days.

Sort of like this, hot and dusty.
Photo by ultrarob.com

Pikes Peak Velo Supercross was the call today, and the PPV guys had the course worn in pretty good. They added a few changes from last year by inserting a set of three tight 180's set up in an "s" configuration. This allowed for a break where the HR would drop before the short climb/long run up section.

Which looks like this:

ultrarob.com

I managed a front row slot on the outside which was good and hit it at the whistle. When we reached the pinch point I was six guys back. I held it for a lap and a half and even though the top three got away, we had a small gap that allowed some recovery. 4th was in no man's land and Tim James and I rode together, taking turns in front on the long straight then marking each other for the rest of the race. At 3 to go I started to feel the cumulative effect of the leg burning climb and started to make "moose dying" noises by the top. Thankfully Tim didn't hit the gas. I managed the run up really well, actually grateful to get off the bike and stretch a little. I have been practicing long strides and deeper breaths this summer which seem to be helping. Then with one lap to go we were waiting for the other to make a move, Tim slipped on a technical corner and hit the deck. I of course hit the gas! I actually thought for a split second, nah. I really stretched it out on the run up and hammered on the flats just to prevent any "last lap" surges which lost me a couple of spots last year. I came across the line 4th, but more startling to me, the top pro women, (Amy D., Kelli Emmit) which start behind us 30 seconds were still at least that far back. Last year they had passed me by a half a lap, easy. Progress, not Perfection I always say!
Once again the course was fantastic and fun was had by all.
More tommorow..........

No comments:

Post a Comment